Someone from West Newton, MA writes:
I have worked since I was 14 years old. Child of immigrant parents that also worked two jobs. Raised one daughter as a single parent due to divorce. Went on to college at night through numerous sponsored educational opportunies at work. Still wages are low. How can the government take away a contract that had been promised and workers held up their end of the contract. Please help the public understand why this happened. My retirement is in the balance of a bill that has not been duly processed.
April 24, 2010
Someone from Bonita, CA signed.
April 24, 2010
Someone from Sewanee, TN signed.
April 26, 2010
Someone from Newbury, MA signed.
April 27, 2010
Someone from Lake Havasu City, AZ writes:
my husband paid into ssa for 35 years he passed away at 58 why should i not be able to recieve the money he had to pay. He did'nt have a say about it being withheld form his check all those years. I'am retired postal worker my bills are not half because my husband passed away.
April 28, 2010
Someone from Abington, MA signed.
April 29, 2010
Someone from Fort Myers, FL signed.
April 29, 2010
Someone from Milford, PA signed.
April 30, 2010
Someone from Ozark, AL signed.
May 1, 2010
Someone from Mount Vernon, IL signed.
Someone from Windham, NH signed.
May 4, 2010
Someone from Philadelphia, PA signed.
May 4, 2010
Someone from Pineville, LA signed.
May 4, 2010
Someone from Pineville, LA signed.
May 10, 2010
Someone from Newburyport, MA writes:
It would be a welcome change to see our government "bail out" members of the working class.
May 11, 2010
Someone from West Hollywood, CA writes:
I worked in the private sector before working as an educator. Now I find out that my Social Security will only be a third of what I would have gotten if I hadn't become a teacher. Way to go America! Repeal the GPO provision now!
Someone from East Falmouth, MA signed.
6 years ago
Someone from Sebastian, FL signed.
Someone from Athens, TN writes:
It makes no sense at all that I am denied my survivor benefits because I receive a pension as a retired Kentucky educator. If I had worked for IBM, GM, etc., my pension would have no bearing on those benefits. And the clincher is that I can't even have all of my own Social Security benefits. How fair is that?
6 years ago
Someone from Sicklerville, NJ signed.
Someone from Taunton, MA writes:
With 325 co sponsors, why is this bill still sitting in committee??? Time to move it out for discussion and a vote!
May 27, 2010
Someone from Salem, MA signed.
June 8, 2010
Someone from Washington, MO signed.
June 8, 2010
Someone from Kansas City, MO writes:
We paid into the Social Security as required, why now are we being penalized? We are struggling financially just like everyone else. Do not take away what was lawfully ours when we paid in.
June 11, 2010
Someone from Chandler, AZ writes:
I believe that Ronald Regan enacted the provision so he could steal money from Social Security and spend it on Military. I believe they have stolen Trillion$ and are doing it by reducing spouse benefits.
June 15, 2010
Someone from Tulsa, OK signed.
6 years ago
Someone from Cibolo, TX signed.
6 years ago
Someone from Fairless Hills, PA signed.
Someone from Mashpee, MA writes:
I have contributed to Social Security for 30 years to only find out that when I changed my employment to a municipal position, that I will be losing a great deal of money. Money that I put into it. Money that should be coming back to me whether or not I am working a town job. I am now contributing to a pension plan but why should that effect all the years of contribution to Social Security. I strongly feel that this law should be repealed. I am an extremely hard woking individual as I have been in employment since the age of 16 and am now 46 years old. I still have many years of working before I am eligible to retire and I would like to feel comforted that my many years as a tax payer and upstanding citizen of the United States will be compensated as due.
Someone from East Falmouth, MA writes:
The WEP/GPO law is totally unfair to people who have contributed many years to Social Security only to have benefits penalized if they become a Government/Municipal worker. Please take the time to sign this petition.
6 years ago
Someone from Centerville, MA signed.
6 years ago
Someone from Sandwich, MA signed.
6 years ago
Someone from Marstons Mills, MA signed.
6 years ago
Someone from Mashpee, MA signed.
6 years ago
Someone from Quincy, MA signed.
6 years ago
Someone from Cotuit, MA signed.
6 years ago
Someone from Sandwich, MA signed.
Someone from Mashpee, MA writes:
Do not penalize people who worked many years paying into Social Security and many years as a town employee. Totally unfair. Please change this law.
6 years ago
Someone from Mashpee, MA signed.
6 years ago
Someone from Mashpee, MA signed.