Someone from Springfield, TN writes:
My husband was in an accedent and was hurt and it put him out of work. He then got served with papers for child support on a child that was 12 years of age. We went to court and they added on his paper work that he had to pay $500 a month plus they added all the 12 years and put that as back support. A month later they suspended his licence for that back support that he had just recived a month prier. Which put me and my family in risk of loosing everything. I was the only one working and could barely pay the bills let alone his child support. Now it is worse because he cant drive anywhere and we dont live where you can catch transportation. I dont see it as helping anyone by revoking a licence for a debt. How are they suppost to get back and forth to work if they dont have a way?
Someone from Seffner, FL writes:
My driver's license was just suspended due to nonpayment of child support, and I was in the process of applying for a security job. They can't accept me, not only because of my driver's license being suspended, but soon they will suspend my business Class D and G licenses right after I would have attained them through that employer. That employer was going to sponsor me for my security license. Now I'm looking for a job that doesn't require me to drive, or have "reliable transportation". I live in an area where public transportation is not nearby, and catching rides from neighbors can get expensive. How am I to catch up? The next step is jail... That will separate me from my family while not allowing me to adequately support them. Compare this to a student in high school becoming delinquent. What if, after receiving an out-of school suspension, the student wasn't allowed to contact the school or their teacher in any way, to acquire their work assignments so they could catch up and not fail their classes? Thankfully, that's not how it works in our education system. I strongly believe the driver's and occupational license suspension should not be an option at all, but I understand we must come to a compromise. When we reach a point where the delinquency would have called for driver's suspension--or before--can local government send a recruiter to attempt to have the noncustodial parent paired up with an opening in a community service job, or other positions? Positive reinforcement can get many people moving. If the noncustodial cannot be employed within a specific time frame, can we just place a restriction onto the driver's license? ... I believe an effective method would be to not suspend the driver's privilege, however, to impose a restriction such as "work commute only". I believe that working to identify those who need help finding a job, and defining them separately from those who are actively running from the system, would help solve this problem, but that will take time. While working that process out, we could push the "Work Commute Only Driver's License Restriction for Nonpayment of Child Support" through easily and expediently. We can save many families from hardships, keep many noncustodial parents out of jail, and boost the workforce this way, which will all eventually lead to a positive impact on our economy. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
1 year ago
Someone from North Fort Myers, FL signed.
1 year ago
Someone from Yakima, WA signed.
Someone from Lake City, FL writes:
People should not loose a license or go to jail over child support people like me with low income with wife and kids to support at home fall behind in a lot of things not just child support ...so to take a license or throw someone in jail only makes the situation worse make the person behind more and makes it impossible to get a job to pay or catch up .....now if a person doesn't make an attempt to pay then yea take the license or what ever but stop harassing the man that's trying we already get the short end of the stick when the mother is allowed to just up and leave when they want with our children and allow us to see them when they feel it convenience please stop the nonsense
Someone from Oberlin, OH writes:
In order to pay child support you have to work. Without proper transportation you can not obtain nor maintain a job to pay your child support. In a city like mine where public transportation does not exist many of us including myself face the challenge of staying employed without transportation. How do you expect us to pay you if we can't get to work to do so???
1 year ago
Someone from Oberlin, OH signed.
Someone from Elyria, OH writes:
How can they get to work without a license that's not fair to those who are trying to pay but for some reason came upon hard times due to no fault of their own like loss of job .
August 26, 2015
Someone from Johnston, SC writes:
It keep a person who's trying away from positively getting a job to catch it up
August 27, 2015
Someone from New York, NY signed.
August 30, 2015
Someone from Boulder, CO signed.
August 30, 2015
Someone from Boulder, CO writes:
I am on parole. The dmv notified me, while I was still in prison, that my license was to be suspended.I could not make payments in prison. So, I get out on parole and my license is suspended and I am 2 years behind on payments. I am a driver by profession. Perfect driving record. Can't get driving jobs to catch back up. This is insane..
September 6, 2015
Someone from Jacksonville, FL writes:
i,m a truck driver who has been put out of work for late child support payments when my truck breaks down.
September 8, 2015
Someone from Bowling Green, FL signed.
September 9, 2015
Someone from Middlefield, OH writes:
I have a very lenghty background involving child support suspensions of my driver license, as I am currently suspended now. I completely understand my responsibility as the court ordered obligor. What I don't understand is when you have multiple court orders....3 to be exact....and you are paying some amount to all three being open and honest to all case workers involved about your multiple support cases telling them your situation and how I still need money of my own to pay my bills and survive also, yet regardless of what you say they just see a number. In their minds it's pay your support and we'll leave you alone. That's it there's no other way to look at it, and now comes the past due support. I have kids that have better jobs than me now, have places of their own yet l still have to pay support to their mom. I thought it was called child support not alimony. What ah joke it's all been. if your involved in your kids life but can't meet full payments your a horrible dad, if your just a well at least my support is paid but I'm to busy working to spend much time with my kids your a horrible dad. It's all just pathedic!!!
September 13, 2015
Someone from Plant City, FL signed.
September 13, 2015
Someone from Tacoma, WA signed.
September 14, 2015
Someone from Apopka, FL writes:
We need our licenses to work I'm not behind and they still won't me to go to court saying pay in full money I don't have it's so crazy
September 14, 2015
Someone from Beallsville, OH signed.
September 15, 2015
Someone from Atlanta, GA signed.
September 15, 2015
Someone from Stevensville, MD writes:
I had a perfect driving record until my license was suspended for not paying child support. It's really hilarious how the state wants me to pay child support and I do too. So, tell m, how am I going to work to earn money pay child support without my drivers license?
September 16, 2015
Someone from Columbus, OH signed.
September 16, 2015
Someone from Winchester, TN signed.
Someone from Martinez, CA writes:
The fact that they can do this is bass acwards. I just recently received my license after child support suspended it 13yrs ago. And I was recently fired. I paid all that I had to to get it reinstated only to have dmv tell me that it's scheduled to be suspended AGAIN due to child support 5mos from now. WTF?!?!? Are you kidding me? Something needs to be dive to limit their power in doing this. It's. Complete and utter BS and indeed only hurts the child.
1 year ago
Someone from Fort Pierce, FL signed.
1 year ago
Someone from Aurora, CO signed.
1 year ago
Someone from Plainfield, NJ signed.
1 year ago
Someone from Pueblo, CO signed.
Someone from Summerville, GA writes:
This is just plan crazy to suspend a drivers licence because of owing child support...How do you expect people to find work with out a licence to drive, this makes me very angry to know you treat people this way, People need a drivers licence in order to find work and be able to get to work when they do find a job, Do people know how hard it is to get someone else to take you to work or to look for work when you are poor you don't have money to pay people money plus gas for taking you places and no one is going to do it for free because gas is to high already and people can not afford to take people to look for work free. This needs to change.
1 year ago
Someone from Arkansas City, KS signed.
Someone from Lutz, FL writes:
One man commits suicide every 22 minutes because of drivers license issues due to child support
September 25, 2015
Someone from Lutz, FL signed.
September 25, 2015
Someone from Lutz, FL writes:
I think it puts a very large linitation on the child relationship with the father and mother ...my daughters dad never paid ...to much cash ..but he paid in other ways ...I am grateful for what ge did do ...he died of cancer 2 years ago ...I did stop enforcement when learning if his dx...so he could get his license back ..to make it to his chemo appointments ....its not always about the money girls . .I still have my dad ...wish she could have her..
September 25, 2015
Someone from Odessa, FL signed.
September 25, 2015
Someone from Odessa, FL writes:
I believe that child support should be paid, however suspension of a drivers license would prevent the person from driving and maintaining a job. But I do need to say some of the amounts awarded to a parent are sometimes extremely high.
Someone from Tampa, FL writes:
just another way for the state to make more money men need their drivers license to work to pay for the kids what good is it if we're in jail with no license
September 25, 2015
Someone from Fort Worth, TX signed.
September 25, 2015
Someone from Fort Worth, TX signed.
September 26, 2015
Someone from Spring City, TN writes:
My license is suspended BC of rearrage and I just started a job and I can't pay my cs unless I have my license to go to and from work also why do I have to pay. Cs ifmy sons mom want let me see my son they ain't a court order for me not to see him she has blocked me from everything no one knows where she's at
September 28, 2015
Someone from Covington, GA signed.